Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Something Different: How To Shave Your Head (And If You Really Should)

It's time to do something different on BLTS - a "How To"

I've been considering writing this ever since I decided to shave my head during the winter of 2004. I still remember staring in the mirror asking myself...is it time? I wish that I had been given some advice and tips on what to do. Hopefully this post will help someone who is on the fence about shaving his/her head.

Not to go back too far in history but when I finished my time in the service, I noticed that my once head full of thick hair had abruptly stopped growing around the crown of my head. At first I rebelled...I bleached my hair blond (which matched my scalp more than brown did) and tried to conceal the fact that the hair on the top of my head was just not growing. Eventually I got sick of the toe-head look and let my original color grow back in. At that point it was quite obvious...the hair on the top of my head had fully retired.

For at least 3 more years I kept it short on the sides to match the apparent thinness on the top of my head. This resulted in a visit to the barber at least once every 3 weeks (if not more.) Worst of all, some barbers would say "You have a lot of hair! You're not going bald at all!" I'm not sure why some barbers would say such a thing when it was so obviously not true...but needless to say I never went back those liars.

Trying to figure out how to make the best of the situation, I tried to negotiate a yearly membership price with a favorite barber so I could come in as often as needed. I constantly needed to have my head cleaned up to hide the hair on the sides of my head that were growing 10 times faster than the top. Even though I offered to pay something close to the equivalent of 3 haircuts a month for a year, for unlimited haircut access...he declined. In the end I was sick of paying for these maintenance haircuts...so it was then I decided to take the leap.

To me, shaving your head says one thing about you...you're brave. You're willing to face the music and embrace the truth...you're going bald. The two dimension liar (also known as a mirror) will make you feel like you have concealed the problem, but the truth is people can tell you are losing your hair. Shaving your head is a way to say "I am not scared of going bald; I'm embracing it."

The sooner you shave your head, the longer you will live with this new identity (which I'm almost sure that you will prefer...if not...it grows back.)

It's important to note that shaving your head isn't for everybody. I highly recommend cutting your hair to the shortest "stylable" length before considering shaving it. Once your hair is gone you have committed to an appearance that may take months to grow out.

Some Of My Screening Questions To See If Shaving Your Head Is Right For You:
  • Are you obsessed with a single hairstyle that cannot be changed (and swimming makes you feel self-conscience about your hairline? (Simply put...are hats a necessary part of your outfit?)
  • Are you older than 30? (Young faces with shaved heads can look strange...unless you add the element of cool facial hair)
  • Do you secretly wish that the cure for baldness will be developed in the next 5 years? (Don't count on it, in the 24th century Captain Jean-Luc Picard is cruising around space with male pattern baldness.)
  • Do you spend more than 20 bucks a month for a haircut but the haircut itself takes half the time as someone else's haircut? (Trust me...your barber loves you...same price...less time.)
  • Do you have a good wardrobe? (Since the focus will be off of your hair, your self expression will be limited to facial hair and wardrobe. Simple t-shirts won't look quite the same without hair.)
If you answered yes to some or all of these questions, it might be a good time to shave your head!

Before You Do:

Get advice! Ask your friends and family what they think. Your mother will probably tell you not to...that's normal. Listen to everyone carefully and try to discriminate the good advice from the bad. This is a big step. I don't recommend doing it as a form of rebellion because after the angst wears off you're stuck with a shaved head and no plan.

Look into the maintenance of a shaved head. A clean shaven head needs to be shaved every 3 to 4 days (twice a week.) This will require time in the shower and equipment. If you shave with clippers (not quite clean, but with stubble) you can do it once a week, but you have the clippings to deal with (not fun if you like a clean bathroom.) You MUST buy sunblock. Even living in Seattle, if I was going to be outside for longer than 10 minutes I would put a little sunblock on the top of my head. This part of your body is the most exposed to the sun and WILL get burned. Skin cancer that starts on the head could be very unsightly not to mention extremely deadly.

I recommend the following products:

For Shaving With Clippers:
For Clean Shaving*:
  • The HeadBlade
  • Neutrogena Men Skin Clearing Shave Cream
  • Clinique Face Scrub
  • Clinique Face Soap
  • Lily Of The Desert - Aloe Vera Gelly (beware, it will make your head shiny)
  • Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock, SPF 70
Clean shaving may require a lot of products, but in the end you will get a very good shave. At the very least I recommend using the Headblade and the SPF.

*You will probably need to cut your hair first with clippers before clean-shaving your head.

How To Shave With Clippers:
  1. Cut your hair standing on a sheet on the floor, or in your shower (turned off), to catch the loose hair. If you cut it out of doors, then you do not need to worry about hair on the ground.
  2. Set the clippers to the shortest setting. With most clippers this means removing the guard completely. Avoid using an electric razor on your head as it does not work that well and the noise will drive you mad.
  3. Choose to do it yourself or get help. You can do it yourself with practice, or get someone to cut your hair for you. If cutting yourself, plan to shower immediately afterward, so you don't worry about getting the clippings all over yourself.
  4. Begin at the nape of the neck and run the clippers in rows up over your scalp to the front.
  5. Be sure to give extra attention to the nape of your neck, the sideburns, and just over the ears.
  6. Check the style. When you think you're done, use a mirror to check, and try running your hand all over your head. You should be able to feel any spots you've missed.

How To Shave Using a HeadBlade
  1. Use clippers to bring your hair down to the shortest stubble possible.
  2. Take a shower, and while you're in, do the following:
  3. Use Clinique Face Scrub (followed by Clinique Face Soap) to ensure that your head is clean and that all hairs are above the surface (an ingrown hair can cause problems.)
  4. Apply Neutrogena Men Skin Clearing Shave Cream to your head making sure that the consistency is not too thick (you will need to be able to feel for stubble along the way)
  5. Go to HeadBlade.com for recommended techniques. There are videos and FAQs on the finer points of using this tool. I won't waste space here reiterating them.
  6. After finishing in the shower, shave the rest of your face as necessary. I've noticed that I have to shave my temples and around my ears with a regular razor because it's a little awkward in the shower with the HeadBlade.
  7. Apply SPF
  8. I like to put aloe on my head. It seems to help prevent any nicks from getting infected and adds a nice shine.
The first time you shave your head you will probably go through a little bit of hair shock. You might find yourself staring in the mirror and not recognizing the face looking back at you. My coworkers seemed to be slow to like it, but eventually everyone said that it was really a good look. Allow 3-6 months to fully acclimatize and expect a reaction at reunions and holidays (but by then you should love it)

I met my wife 2 months A.S. (After Shaving) and she has never known me with hair. Sometimes I'll pull out old photos and she says over and over how much better I look with a shaved head. A huge bonus is that I can be creative with my facial hair (not so with my former ultra-conservative "hide-the-fact-that-I'm-balding" haircut) and have had fun growing handlebars, goatees, soul patches, and the like.

I am very happy shaving my head and do not plan to grow it out again (what little there is.) With a shaved head I look the age I feel. I hope that a shaved head works for you as it has for me.

No comments:

Subscribe via email (Get Posts As They Happen!)

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner